A fresh tattoo needs time to heal so that the ink can become embedded in your skin. The skin around a fresh tattoo has been injured and should be protected during the healing process. Every shop has slightly different advice when it comes to protecting your new tattoo, the advice listed here has worked for us and our customers.
Directly after your appointment
- Leave the bandage provided by the shop on for at least one hour.
- Wash the tattoo gently using antibacterial soap and cool or warm water. Be sure to rinse off all ointment and soap.
- Gently pat the tattoo dry with a clean, lint-free paper towel.
- Wash the tattoo two to three times per day for at least two weeks or until completely healed. Avoid rubbing the tattoo during washing.
- For the first two to three days, apply a thin coat of A&D ointment four times a day.
- For the remainder of the healing process, use an unscented, un-medicated hand lotion such as Curel, Vaseline Intensive Care, or Lubriderm.
Long term healing
- Do not expose your fresh tattoo to prolonged exposure to the sun or tanning beds.
- Do not swim or submerge your tattoo in water for at least 2 weeks. Showering is okay.
- Do not pick or scratch your tattoo while it is healing.
Please call or stop in the shop if you have any questions or concerns during the healing process. We want our art to look great on you and a well-healed tattoo is a good-looking tattoo!